Quarry Overlook
North end of Main Street East of the grainery., Nauvoo, IL 62354
Historic Sites
Many of the stones for the original Nauvoo Temple came from this quarry. Although it is now filled with water from the Mississippi River, the great size of the quarry can still be seen from the overlook.
These stones, weighing as much as two tons, were hauled by wagon up to the temple block where masons would finish them.
You might also be interested...
Sarah Granger Kimball Home
Nauvoo
Visit the home of Sarah Granger Kimball, a woman who played a vital role in establishing the Female Relief Society of Nauvoo, a women's organization dedicated…
Read more about Sarah Granger Kimball HomeNauvoo Groves
Nauvoo
Between 1839 and 1846, the Latter-day Saints held many of their meetings outdoors. The Nauvoo Groves commemorate those early meetings, many of which occurred only a…
Read more about Nauvoo GrovesJohn Taylor Home
Nauvoo
Visit one of the earliest brick homes in Nauvoo.
Read more about John Taylor Home